Friday, January 27, 2012

Frugal Fashion Friday - DIY: 1 Can of Paint 2 Projects

Today's edition of Frugal Fashion Friday focuses on my favorite instant change helper, spray paint!  I really believe it's the most versatile tool in your DIY arsenal.  A coat of paint, or two can completely change the look of an item. You've seen my transformations, home decor, shoes, and jewelry.  Today I thought I'd show you how I took one can of spray paint and created two fun DIY projects.

Project 1 - iPhone Cover

Project 2 - Chinese Lions
Using one can of Krylon Metallics spray paint in gold, PRESTO CHANGO and poof!  They are transformed. One of the projects was a great success. The other, not so much.  That's the chance you take with DIY.  Sometimes you have to go back to the drawing board and sometimes it's a loss.

Polka dots with pennies

A Little Issue
DIY projects don't always work out as planned.  Originally, I'd planned to take this iPhone case, tape it off and create stripes.  That didn't work.  The tape wouldn't stick to the cover. I guess that's because it's silicone. The coating kept the tape from sticking. I scrapped the idea of stripes and started thinking.  What could I use to create a pattern that would create a cool pattern but wouldn't have to stick to the case. PENNIES!  I laid pennies on top to create a polka dot pattern. I sprayed it with a clear sealant and let it dry over night.  Well, the plan still didn't work.  As soon as I picked up the case, the paint started to crack. You can see the cracks in the picture above. I ended up scrubbing off the paint and I'm going to try again.  I'll let you know how it goes. The case price was only $1. It came in a package of 10 different colored cases, that I purchased of Amazon for just $10.  I paid for this case and the clear case I purchased, with an gift card. Final cost, $0!

Project #2 was much more successful.  I bought the green Chinese Guardian Lions at Goodwill back in the fall.  They were a great find and I loved them but not the green color.  For $3 each, I knew I could make these lions shine.


Using thin coats of paint and letting them dry in between each coat. I love the result.

Project #1
Paint ($7) already owned and used on multiple projects
iPhone case ($1)    free with gift card
pennies for pattern      .06

______________________________
TOTAL COST:    6 cents! (maybe $1 worth of paint)


Project #2
Chinese Lions                    $6
Paint ($7) already owned and used on multiple projects
_______________________________
TOTAL COST:                  $6 (plus about $1 of paint)


Two projects for a total cost of $8.06.  I'm going to try again with the iPhone case. I'll keep you posted.



Happy Friday Real Girls!!


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...