Thursday, May 10, 2012

DIY - Neon Clutch

As you know a fun day clutch has been the object of my desire for some time now.  All of the neon color combos have been calling to me.  The other day, as I was crawling home in traffic, I got a DIY brainstorm.  I love it when that happens!  It struck me that I already had the makings of a great neon clutch.  I just needed a few additional supplies.


Supplies
Two rolls of neon Duck Tape (I chose Neon Pink and Blaze Orange)  $3.49 each  (with tons left over)
                                                                                                          $2.00 used less than 1/3 of each roll
Zipper envelope (Up from Target)                                                       $3.24
Gold chain                                                                                          $2.24
Jewelry Findings (gold lobster clasp, jump rings)                                  $2.24  (more left for other projects)
                                                                                                           $  .50  used one clasp, 5 jump rings
                                                                                                           $7.98
                                                                                                       

I measured the envelope and then cut pieces of tape to cover each side.  I trimmed them on the edges and folded them into the seams.


Once the first side was covered, I took the piece at the bottom of the clutch and folded it over to the other side of the clutch.


I continued on side two but also added a handle on the second side.  I created the handle by cutting three pieces of tape of equal length. I folded each piece in thirds creating a smooth, sticky free strip.  Then I braided them together.  I placed the ends under the tape on the clutch base.  Then secured them with an extra piece of tape on the top.


I also decided to add a chain handle to create a hands free option for this fun clutch.  I attached a chain to the inside of the clutch. I also created a hook on the outside at the seam. I cut a tiny slit on the seam and secured the chain by feeding it through and taping it down.






The chain can be dropped inside the clutch when not in use and pulled out and attached when I need a shoulder strap.



The clutch turned out better than I'd hoped.  I love the side handle that I decided to add.  The addition makes it easy to carry. I wore it to the NOVA Fashion Week Luxe Lifestyle event.  A few ladies asked if I'd make them one. The beauty is, this DIY is so easy, anyone can do it.












Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...