Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Quality Bargains at Saks Off 5th

I purchase my share of discount fashion from stores like Target, Old Navy and Kohl's. I love these places for trendy items that I will likely only wear for a few seasons or staples, like basic t-shirts and tanks. Although I do have quite a few items from these stores that have held up for several years, the quality isn't the same as higher end designers and department stores. I've changed my way of thinking over the years. A $20 pair of shoes from a discount store isn't a bargain if they fall apart after a few wears. But a $60 pair of shoes that were purchased during a sale (originally $100) and last for years are a much better deal. They may have cost $40 more but if you are able to wear them for years, the cost per wear makes the extra cost worth the money. My favorite stores for high quality bargains are department store outlets, like Saks Off 5th.


The newly remodeled Saks Off 5th store opened on Thursday at Potomac Mills Mall. I was fortunate enough to attend a blogger preview event just prior to the grand opening. We got a tour of the store, a chance to see the great merchandise and do a little shopping.

Left to Right - Blogger friends Kristin of Handbags Hair and Heels and Katie of  Kurvy Katie

This store will serve as the model for other Saks Off 5th stores. It's larger than the previous store and has a more open floor plan. There is lots of great fashion to be had. I found a fantastic tweed and leather Ellen Tracy jacket and a fun color block sweater, that will be a perfect fall transition piece.

I was really disappointed that this store does not have a plus size section (like the previous store). I spoke with the store manager about this fact and expressed my disappointment. Regular Saks stores have Salon Z which contains great plus size fashion. I'll be writing to Saks corporate and expressing my disappointment to them as well. The Ellen Tracy jacket is so me. It was originally $169. I paid $65. My color block sweater was originally $89. I snagged it for only $21! Great deals on quality designer duds. The bag I'm carrying in these photos is the Rebecca Minkoff MAB (full size not mini) bag. I purchased it several years ago at Saks Off 5th for about $200, which at the time was better than half price. It's a quality bag that still looks fantastic and has stood the test of time. It was worth the investment. I choose quality over low cost, when the item is one I will wear over and over. I'm sure a similar low quality bag would have already been donated to Goodwill.




The shoe, accessory and handbag sections are stellar!


Chanel and Valentino


Hopefully, you live close enough to Potomac Mills to take advantage of the fantastic deals in person. live close to a Saks Off 5th, you can now shop online! In addition to the amazing fashion previews at bloggers events, another perk is the gifts we often receive. At this event, we were given a store gift card as well as a beauty box containing, Saks' BLACK line of cosmetics and beauty products (lip gloss, nail polish, body wash and perfume).




Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...