Friday, March 30, 2012

Frugal Fashion Friday - Thrifty Wedding and a bit of Insanity

I'm writing this post in the hope that you can all help me to regain my sanity. As you know we are planning a wedding. I've been engaged for a year now and as of April we are one year away from our wedding date. I feel like the line in the song "Long Day" by Matchbox 20. "It's me, yeah and I can't get myself to go away"  Even though I try not too, random wedding planning thoughts keep popping into my head. How do I get them to stop?

Me and My Honey
 
I'm equally parts excited and terrified. Terrified about the wedding planning, not getting married.  That, I'm 100% sure about. Our budget is very tight and the DC area is very expensive. I love planning and throwing parties but this is no normal party. I know two things. I don't want to spend our entire wedding budget on a venue just because it's pretty.  I also know that I don't want to spend our wedding day cooking and decorating. So I have to do two things that are very hard for me, be super organized and ask for help (aka relinquish control ). I'm sure you're wondering what this all has to do with Frugal Fashion Friday.  Well, we are going to be doing lots of DIY projects over the next year and getting help from people that love us (thank goodness they love us).  One of the things we want to have at the wedding is a dessert bar.  During the Holidays I make lots of homemade cookies and candy as gifts for friends and family.  I've collected great recipes from the Internet and some are recipes I've been making for years. Luckily my wonderful friend (and future daughter in law) is going to help me make all of these goodies ahead of time. 

Homemade Snickers Bars
I want it to be a pretty display.  I saw this great picture of colorful cake stands and got the idea to use them as a display for the goodies.  I'm on the hunt for them at thrift stores, flea markets, and on sites like ebay and Craig's list. 


I've already found a few platters and a cake stand at Goodwill.  Luckily, I have lots of time for hunting. There are so many other ideas flying around in my head.  I won't bore you with all of the details. This is not a wedding blog.  There are lots of great ones out there, like my friend Bree's site, Capitol Romance!  Bree will be guest posting the first week of April.  

Have any of you ladies out there felt like you were losing your mind while you were wedding planning? If you had tight budgets how did you do it? 

Happy Friday Real Girls!!






Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...