Friday, May 20, 2011

Frugal Fashion Friday - Great Uses for Old Toothbrushes

Dentists recommend that you change your toothbrush every three months.  That's four old toothbrushes per year that go into landfills, for just one person. My parents have always been advocates of reusing items and they taught me to save things that can be reused.  I've always saved my old toothbrushes to use in different ways.



Jewelry Cleaning
If you have a sonic toothbrush, you can use your old brush heads along with the charged brush handle, to clean your jewelry.  It works just like a $25 plus ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. You can use plain water or a mild soap if you prefer.

If you don't have a sonic toothbrush, you can use your old manual toothbrush and a little elbow grease. A little mild soap or jewelry cleaning solution can up the cleaning process.

Hair
After cleaning your old toothbrush with a little mild soap, you can use it to smooth flyaways in your hairstyle.  When I slick back my hair into a ponytail, I always have a few fly away hairs near my hairline or some strays along the top. Using the toothbrush in a gentle backward motion you can smooth those hairs and make your style more sleek.

Makeup
One of my favorite uses for an old toothbrush is as a mascara comb. After a little cleaning to remove the old toothpaste and bacteria.  Using super hot water and gentle soap, clean the toothbrush and then let it dry completely. Make sure to clean it thoroughly. The eyes are senstive to bacteria.

After applying mascara, you can use the toothbrush is a gentle upward motion along your lashes to remove clumps and separate any stubborn lashes.


Do you have any toothbrush beauty tips?  I'd love to hear about them.  Please share by leaving a comment below.

Happy Friday!


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...