Monday, May 23, 2011

DC Fundraising Chic

Back in April I did a little guest post on GalTime for the Friday's Fancies feature. As part of that post, I did a frugal version of Friday's Fancies.  It was lots of fun shopping with an unlimited budget. Reality can be harsh but fun.  I enjoy hunting for bargains and this past Saturday, I wore my frugal version of Friday's Fancies to a fundraiser (with some slight modifications). 

In my rush to leave the house, I forgot my camera, so these pictures were taken with a camera phone by my good friend and the Mayor of Occoquan, Earnie Porta. I'll be writing soon about the beautiful town and their great Craft Fair coming up June 4th and 5th.

The event I attended was an annual fundraising dinner put on by the Prince William County Democratic Committee.  I'm a member and attend each year. For many years I've worn a black satin ball skirt (with many different tops) that I purchased at Saks off 5th for $40. It was easily the best formal purchase I've ever made. It has been a great value.  The jacket I'm wearing in the photos below is the same kind of piece. It's an italian made, Gianfranco Ferre tuxedo jacket. The original price tag was over $500. I purchased it for $60 and I've worn it to formal events and with jeans and a tee out to a bar.


Tuxedo Jacket - Gianfranco Ferre via Saks off 5th, Top - AK via Nordstrom Rack, Skirt - Avenue,
Shoes - Prada via DSW, Watch - HSN, Earrings - Nordstrom Rack, Ring - DragonWeave Jewerly via Amazon

With the exception of hose, I wanted to wear sheer black and didn't own any, my entire outfit was already in my closet. Here is the cost breakdown:

Gianfranco Ferre Tuxedo Jacket - $60 (originally $500)
AK Ruffle Top - $15 (originally $59)
Avenue Sequin Skirt - $10 (originally $40)
Prada Satin Mary Janes - $89 (originally $500+)
Kenneth Cole Earrings - $11 (originally $30)
Watch - $59
Ring - $40

TOTAL - $284

Not bad considering I would have paid more, originally, for either the tuxedo jacket or the shoes.





I LOVE these shoes with a capital L but I don't wear them often. They kill my feet.  The classic example of comfort being all about how shoes fit your feet.  They don't fit my arch so I feel like I'm standing on the ball of my foot all night. I added some padding but it didn't help much. I still love them. 





Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...