Monday, June 2, 2014

Music and Sun

On Saturday I attended my first music festival of the summer. I love festivals. You get the chance to see and hear lots of bands, in one place and usually for a bargain price. We went to the very first Ragtime Carnival at Pocahontas State Park in Chesterfield, Virginia (Richmond area). The festival was organized by one of my favorite bands, Carbon Leaf. The band and their music are very special to me. One of the first dates that {msL} and I went on was to a Carbon Leaf show. We also exited the church and our wedding ceremony to their song, Life Less Ordinary. The festival was two days (Friday evening and Saturday) but we only attended Saturday (Boo work). Sixteen bands played over the two day festival and there were two stages (main and a smaller acoustic stage). The organizers timed things so it was possible to hear all of the bands. We couldn't have asked for better weather. It was a beautiful day, warm in the sun and a slight breeze at times. There was no rain in sight. Comfort was the order of the day for my outfit. I chose a simple dress, a hat for sun protection, my trusty Birks and my new NECTAR sunnies.

 
Dress - Kohl's (No longer available), Shoes - Birkenstock (old style, similar here and here), Hat - Target (men's small), Sunglasses - c/o NECTAR, Bracelets - Stella and Dot (c/o Kristin Biggs), bracelet c/o People VIP and Klout, backup hairbands Goody double wear, and of course my band to buy beer. Earrings - gift, Rings - wedding band and MD Renaissance festival vendor (mid 90's)





There had been rain for two days before the festival. I was a bit worried the field might be a mud pit. I wore ankle boots into the show and once we were settled, I swapped them out for my sandals. I took my trusty bag (it doubles as my beach bag during the summer) with sunscreen, a few toiletries, bug repellent, and a collapsible water bottle.

On top of the perfect weather, the great company (I went with {msL} and my sister), the music was incredible. My sister said it best when she said, "At other festivals, there have been a few bands that I didn't love. That's not the case today. Every band and artist was fantastic. I loved them all!"

On our way (8am), coffee was required.

There were so many memorable moments from the day. I loved the easy going nature of the festival. The artists walked around the grounds, talked to fans and listened to other bands. I got to meet Terry Clark of Carbon Leaf! We share a birthday.

Terry posing with me before his final set.
I also got to meet Sarah Blacker. I'd never gotten to hear her play live before. She even thanked my sister and I for dancing during her set. She so talented and the coolest lady! Emerson Hart (founder of Tonic) played "If You Could Only See", acoustic. It was a nice surprise, since he's a solo artist now and doesn't play that song often. I loved hearing Crystal Bowersox live. She is such a soulful singer songwriter. Finding new favorites is one of the best parts of a festival. Delta Rae and The Wild Feathers are definitely on that list.


Carbon Leaf opening and closing the day.
Thanks to NECTAR Sunglasses, I got to shield my eyes from the sun all day. Their company motto is "Enjoy the Sweet Life".  Saturday was definitely the sweet life. It couldn't have been better. I had never heard of NECTAR before they offered me a pair of their shades to try. I immediately loved the classic shape and the mirrored lenses. They're seriously the lightest pair of sunglasses I've ever worn. Lots of times I will develop a headache from shades that are too tight or too heavy. I wore them all day and that didn't happen. Their prices are so reasonable (right up a real girl's alley). $20 for their standard pairs and $30 for polarized. You can also opt for their Fusion style, where you can swap out the ear pieces for $35. I am wearing the AMETHYST style. I'd love to also snag the RAYVE or the STOKE.


Good news for you! As an RGR reader, you can order your very own pair of NECTAR sunglasses, through this link. Use the code lovenectar at check out and you'll get 10% off of your order! Did I mention that shipping is free!?


NOTE: I was provided a pair of NECTAR sunglasses for review. My review is honest and the opinions expressed here are my own.




Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...