Friday, November 1, 2013

Halloween Decor and Costumes

Halloween was a blast this year. It's one of my favorite holidays. We had so much fun decorating for and throwing our Halloween party and I thought I'd share some highlights with you.



I wanted a dramatic entry for our guests. The curtains will be used in my office when I redecorate.  The little gnome stays on the porch year round. We decorate him at Christmas and I thought I'd decorate him for Halloween as well.

 

I purchased candlesticks from Goodwill and painted them black. {msL}found dripping blood candles and I was thrilled until they dripped everywhere including all over the table cloth and the rug. I will stick with regular candles from now on. I snagged tons of skulls and crows. I painted the plastic skulls black and silver and also used a few from last year that I'd sprayed with glittter spray paint. I replaced all of the bulbs in the lamps and light fixtures with red bulbs, adding to the spooky feel.  I already owned the bulbs. I'd used them for my fire and ice themed 40th birthday party a few years ago. The food and the skulls were displayed on cake stands that I found at Goodwill and we also used for our wedding. We also decided to serve Halloween inspired cocktails. Of course we hit up Goodwill for some vintage looking cocktail glasses.

Outside we had a fire pit and on the table I used a tray I found at Goodwill. It was an engraved tray (an award) but since I was going to put candles, mini gourds and skulls on it, the engraving wouldn't show. I wanted to carry the spooky ambience outside.

Now for the costumes!




{msL} and I dressed as Edgar Allan Poe and his Raven. I already owned the wings, leather peplum top and the satin ball skirt. I purchased the mask and the talons that I wore. I made the feather necklace and bracelets. I created smokey eye makeup and a beak using heavy black liner. I outlined my lips in black and used a dark red lipstick.


 
 

 
 
 
I didn't manage to get a photo of my friends Carl, David or Willis. Carl was dressed as a Caps Fan. He actually plays a Caps fan in real life.  David was dressed as Peter Pan and Willis was dressed as a Pirate. Thank you to all of our guests and to everyone who sent photos.
 
 
Happy (belated) Halloween!
 



Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...