Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Decision Not to Buy

Over the years I've filled this blog with great buys and inexpensive items. I've also talked a great deal about quality over quantity and price per wear. Before the 3.1 Philip Lim for Target launch, I was sure that I would be buying a bag or two. Clothing was out because it isn't made in plus sizes. After the launch many of the bags were sold out in the local stores. Using Target's search feature I found a few stores that had the bags I'd thought of purchasing. No less than three times I made plans to stop by the stores and take a look at the bags (about $54 each) but I changed my mind. If I purchased both bags that I was considering my total would have been over $110. Although they are great, they aren't leather and they really aren't special.

When I considered that total, I began thinking. Of the bags in my closet, the ones that get the most use are my leather bags in classic silhouettes. I have inexpensive bags that I've snagged from previous Target collaborations and bags that are very similar to some designer bags. I've found that I don't use the look for less bags that imitate the designers. I also favor top handle bags or totes with short handles and a detachable shoulder strap. My favorites don't have big logos and are great colors that I can wear with lots of outfits. Of the designer bags I treasure, I only paid full price for one of them (Coach tote in white patent leather). It was a big splurge at the time but it's a shape I love and a unique bag that even 10+ years after the purchase, I still use regularly.

Then I thought, why am I considering spending $110 on two low priced bags, when I really want an MAB Tote, a Pashli or a Speedy?  If I just save that money, I could use it toward a bag that will last for years and that I could sell if I ever get tired of it (not likely).  Many classic designer bags, if cared for well, have minimal decreases in value.  Just take a look at a reputable resale site like Malleries. That can never be said for designer looks for less. Quality instead of quantity.

Favorite designer bags
Clockwise from the top - 3.1 Phillip Lim Pashli Tote in Ink, Rebecca Minkoff MAB Tote in Port, Louis Vuitton Epi Speedy 35 in Black

 
Save I will. In the mean time, I am going to go through my bags and either donate some of them or sell them. I will clean out my closet and help some folks at the same time.



Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...