Thursday, March 22, 2012

Inspiration - The Hunger Games

This weekend marks the opening of the highly anticipated movie, The Hunger Games.  If you haven't read the books, I highly recommend all three. They are quick, easy reads and they're riveting. I couldn't put them down. What I love most about these books is that the female heroine, Katniss Everdeen is strong, tough and driven by her love of family, friendship and loyalty instead of (as many recent heroines) by a boy.  There is love in the story background but it is secondary. She's a great literary role model for young girls.  She's determined, loving, and honorable.

fashion inspired by The Hunger Games


Many times I don't hold out much hope when a beloved book comes to the big screen. This time, I'm excited.  I am looking forward to seeing how the books have been translated for movie audiences. In honor of the movie, I thought I'd pull together some items inspired by Katniss' wardrobe.  All of these items could hold out through many seasons and trends. 


Inspired by Katniss Everdeen - The Hunger Games


An anorak jacket is on trend this season. The leather gives it an edge and it's an item that could be worn for many years.  Braids are the hairstyle of choice for Katniss.  You can create your own version using clear elastics and bobby pins that match your own hair color.  Katniss is the "Girl On Fire" in a red dress during her introduction at the Capitol.  This red dress could take you to a great party.  A versatile backpack can store your laptop or your carry on items for the airplane. Cargo pants are perfect for a hike in the woods or around town on errands.  A zip pull over is the perfect work out top.  Black patent ballet flats are truly a classic piece of footwear.  I don't know what I ever did without a pair of lug sole boots.  They look cute with a skirt and I love them over jeans.  Three neutral shades from the China Glaze Hunger Games collection. Panem may be the future but the style can translate to today.

Will you be seeing The Hunger Games?




Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...