Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Favorite Travel Items

Tomorrow we are off on a little family vacation. I can't wait to get away for a few days. My packing tends to be a bit different when I fly than when I take a road trip. Since airline rules have gotten more stringent, I have reduced my carry on items considerably. If I check my suitcase, I usually only take one bag on the plane with me. My on board bag contains the items I'll need in flight. Everything else gets packed. I thought I'd share a few of my must haves for travel.

Clockwise from the top: Coach Chelsea Shopper, Love Quotes Rayon Scarf, Mary Kay Satin Lips Balm, Fashion Mags, Headphones with retractable cord, iPhone, Bobble, Gum

I have a Coach tote that I purchased at Marshall's more than 15 years ago.  It was a little pricey for me at the time, even though it was a great deal. The bag has paid for itself many times over and it still looks great. I can fit all of my purse essentials as well as my travel items, even my magazines. Because of this awesome tote, I only have one carry on (when I check my suitcase). They no longer make the style I own but the Chelsea Shopper is similar.

Last spring I snagged a Love Quotes scarf during a shopping trip to Loehmann's.  I own quite a few pashmina type scarves that I purchased from street vendors for about $10. I hesitated to buy the Love Quotes scarf because it was $35 (which was a steal, they sell for $70+) and most of my similar scarves cost less that $20. Now I regret not purchasing it in a few other colors. It's the softest and largest pashmina type scarf that I own. It's perfect for travel.  It serves as a regular scarf when it's chilly but also as a blanket or wrap on the plane. I use this scarf constantly and it still looks brand new. If you can find one for that amazing price, good for you!  It would have been a great purchase even if I'd paid full price. I highly recommend purchasing one.

My lips always get so dry on an airplane. As much as I love lipstick, I don't usually wear it on a long flight.  Lip balm is much better for me. Mary Kay Satin Lips, lip balm is my all time favorite.  It's super moisturizing, without being greasy and it lasts.

I can't believe that I've managed to save the March issues of Vogue and Harper's Bazaarfor this trip.  I haven't looked at them at all.  It's an amazing exercise in restraint. I usually open them as soon as they arrive. I've even surprised myself.

A few years ago my sister gave me a pair of headphones with a retractable cord. My headphones always got tangled in my bag before I got this pair. I love them.

Music, videos, audio books, Kindle app, all on my iPhone.  Enough said.

Ear popping is one of my least favorite parts of air travel.  I always carry gum with me and chew during take off.  It helps me tremendously. 

I drink tons of water but hate to purchase bottled water.  Many bottled waters are just filtered tap water.  They charge a fortune for bottles of water at the airport, not to mention the waste of throwing the bottle away when you are done.  The Bobble, is a reusable water bottle with a built in filter.  You fill it with water from a faucet or water fountain and as you drink, the water is filtered. It's a fantastic invention.

I will be traveling until Monday.  I'm going to try to do a few posts from the road about my travels.  You can also follow me on twitter.








Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...