Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Election Day Blogging Break

I spent this past weekend, last night and am spending parts of today working for the election of great representatives. Today is election day in many places and I'm very active in the local Democratic Party.

I want to take this opportunity to thank those women who came before me.  They worked so hard and gave so much to get women the right to vote and I owe them every gratitude.  I live very close to the what used to be known as the Occoquan Workhouse.  It was at this jail that a group of women who protested the White House for the right to vote were jailed and staged a hunger strike.  These women and their fight were profiled in the film Iron Jawed Angels.

Of course I had to include some pictures showing these amazing women as well as the fashion of the time.




In honor of the women jailed at the Occoquan Workhouse, I am also working with others in the area to build the Turning Point Suffragist Memorial. On the website, you can read about the women and the plans for the memorial.

If you live in an area where it is election day, I urge you to get out and vote.  It's an honor and a privilege that I am incredibly thankful for.


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...