Friday, October 28, 2011

Frugal Fashion Friday - Most Versatile Outerwear

The DC area is facing it's first cold snap this weekend.  Temps are going down to the 30's and we may even get snow flurries.  My Mom just brought me a beautiful gray wool cape that she's been working for me.  I'm so excited to wear it this weekend. This cape was a gift to me, last Christmas.  I picked out the pattern and the fabric and she created a beautiful cape that I will be wearing for years. I started thinking about how versatile capes can be.  To me they are the perfect piece of outwear.  Those tops and sweaters with dolman sleeves don't fit well under a fitted coat.  Blouses with ruffled fronts can be crushed by outerwear.  You can throw on a cape with anything and everything.  It's a great topper for weekend errands or an evening bonfire.  You can wear it with a party dress without worries about wrinkles and creases.  It's the perfect layering piece.


Cape - made for me by my Mom, Shirt - thrifted, Jeans - Lane Bryant,
Shoes - Ferragamo (thrifted), Faux Fur Collar - Lori Goldstein QVC, Rings - JewelMint

If you aren't a fan of the loose silhouette versions. No worries, there are also some great options with belts that can be tied loosely to accentuate your waist. Either way it's a forgiving silhouette that's also stylish.  And dare I say, it's also comfortable.

I've seen some beautiful capes that are very pricey. There are amazing options, under $100.  I've even spied a few on my thrift store trips. Try camel, gray or black for a classic look. Bright red will be a standout. Plaid or stripes can lend versatility. Keep your neck warm with a layered scarf or faux fur collar. The fabric options are endless, wool, fleece, crepe, and knit are all making appearances.  There are options for every style and body type.

Caped Crusader



Will you be adding a cape to your fall/winter wardrobe?


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...