Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering and Renewing

There are thousands of blogs postings on 9/11 tributes today. I have been watching footage and news shows for the last few days. This morning I began watching coverage at 6:50am. I couldn't turn it off. We can't ever forget that day and those who died.


I was working close to the Pentagon on September 11, 2001. I was IMing with a friend from my office and I remember telling her, after the first plane hit, that I hoped it was an accident. Then the second and hit and I knew it wasn't an accident. After the plane hit the Pentagon, I watched the smoke rise from several miles away and cried with my coworkers. I desperately tried to reach friends working in DC via phone and email. I didn't lose anyone I was close to that day. I had friends at the Pentagon who helped and who were first responders. The next day I drove by the Pentagon, looked at the massive hole and cried again. Every year I have said prayers and thought of those we lost.

Five years ago today we received a precious gift on 9/11. Our Laila was born. My Honey's son and daughter in law had a beautiful baby girl. She turned a sad day for all of us into a beautiful and special day.



This beautiful new life brought promise and hope. She brings joy to our lives every day. This morning as I was watching coverage of the ceremonies in NYC, at the Pentagon and in PA, I was also decorating a birthday cake for our 9/11 baby. Her smiles and light made me put aside my sadness and think of how happy she makes us all and that life goes on.



HAPPY BIRTHDAY LAILA!!!!


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...