Monday, July 11, 2011

Beach Trip - Adventures in Trying Not to Overpack

I'll be enjoying a vacation at the beach this week. I've set up a few posts this week. I'll share pictures with you when I return.

I'm a chronic over packer when I go on trips. My Honey and family can attest to this fact. In the last few years I've tried very hard to plan my outfits so that I don't take a bunch of clothes I don't need or won't wear. There have been trips where I only wore about half of the clothing that I packed.

I've read a million strategies on packing. Some work for me and some don't. One of the best tips I picked up was to pick coordinating color palettes when packing. It helps me to keep from packing clothes that are random. Right now, I am loving the aqua and coral color palettes. It feels so summer and beachy to me. Even the items I'm bringing that contain other colors will still coordinate with that palette.


I also try to semi plan my daily outfits. I have an outfit for each day with the flexibilty to change things up on a whim.  I also pack a bunch of jewelry and accessories. They don't take much space and can take a simple tank or tee from day to night.

Here is what I packed for our week at the beach...

Clothes and Accessories
2 mix and match tankini suits (4 pieces): Land's End and Catalina
2 sarongs: beach shops in Key West and North Carolina
Maxi cover up: Target
Kaftan with seqins: Target

1 pair of cropped pants - black: Goodwill
Poncho tee - off white: Neiman Marcus Last Call
Gray tencel tee: Target
Multi knee length dress: Kohl's
Maxi dress tank style - aqua ombre: Target
Maxi dress hi-low - floral: asos
Maxi skirt - aqua: Lane Bryant
Assorted tanks - white with sequins, coral, orange: Target and Old Navy
Open cardigan - white: Calvin Klein

Workout clothes and running shoes

Shoes
beach flip flops: Havianas via Nordstrom Rack
flat sandals- silver: Simply Vera Vera Wang for Kohl's
Birkenstock - silver: Sandal Factory
cage suede booties- tan: MIA via DSW
wedge strappy sandals - beige: Sam Edelman via DSW

2 hats: San Diego Hat Co. and Eugenia Kim for Target

Canvas Bag: Loehman's
Belt: Lane Bryant
Jewelry: various (see below)
Small bag for the beach - island shop, Isla Mujeres Mexico

assorted undies, bras, and a half slip
pj pants and tanks


Accessories and Jewelry
Fedora - Eugenia Kim for Target, Sun hat - San Diego Hat Co, Belt - Lane Bryant, Bag - Loehman's,
Silver Bangles - Kohl's, Freshwater Pearl necklace - art show, Flower ring - VA Museum of Fine Arts gift shop,
Sienna bracelet - JewelMint, Potion necklace - JewelMint, Mosaic ring - JewelMint,
Unlock My Heart Necklace - JewelMint, Crystal Skull necklace - Kohl's, Chain and Safety Pin necklace - DIY
Silver stud earrings - Taxco Sterling, Turquoise stud earrings - Penelope

As you can see, I didn't think you needed or wanted to see my undies and bras.  I also didn't get a picture of all of my shoes. With the exception of the Fedora that I'll be wearing and the bag, which I'll be carrying, everything fits in my medium sized duffel bag. My makeup and beauty items will be in my Mary Kay Travel Roll-Up Bag. It's the most genius travel item ever! I don't know how I ever lived without it. If you'd like to purchase one of your own, just click here.



Beach here I come!!!


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...