Friday, May 27, 2011

Frugal Fashion Friday - Living Your Dreams

Today's FFF post is fashion related but the full focus isn't fashion. Wow, the alliteration in the previous sentence is nuts. About six months ago I opened a fortune cookie to find the following fortune:




It really made me stop and think.  I have a great job, that is rewarding (most of the time), where I'm successful and it pays well. It however, is not and has never been my dream job. Sometimes, There are two things I'm very passionate about, politics and fashion. I've always wanted to work  in fashion in some capacity. I toyed with the idea of majoring in fashion in college. I've held dreams of opening my own boutique, and being a personal stylist. One of the things on my bucket list has always been to attend NYC Fashion Week. I started this blog a couple of years ago hoping that I might be able to go sometime using my blog as an avenue. Little did I know fashion blogging would blow up like it has in the past few years. Back then, I only posted occasionally and wasn't committed to it fully. I've avidly followed politics my whole life. Voting and making my voice heard is very important to me. During college I became more of an activist for causes that are important to me. In the last ten years, I began working with candidates to assist with their campaigns.

When I got that fortune, it made me stop and think about my dreams of youth.  I've always known that I had the power to live those dreams. I just had to make it happen. Silly me, a fortune cookie had to be my catalyst. First I made a committment to blog regularly.  I would attempt to post daily or at least four to five times a week at a minimum. Then I decided to work my blog. Look for ways to learn more and network. With politics, I took a more active roll in my local Democratic party, serving as the chair of some committees and volunteering additional time.

Me with former Governer of VA and DNC Chair Tim Kaine


Here's where the frugal part comes in.  I've spent a little (very little) money here and there on small donations and social events. I've never purchased clothes or products just for my blog that I wouldn't have bought normally. I have only donated to candidates and causes I fully believe in. It cost me nothing to start my blog. It was free (THANKS BLOGGER!). In fact, if choose to, I can run ads on my blog to make a little cash. I've been invited to events and gotten a few items gratis, in gift bags and through product reviews.  I've had the opportunity to meet some incredible activists and politicians, including Gloria Steinhem, Tim Kaine, Tyne Daily and many other Congressional leaders.  I attended rallys and heard (at the time) future President Barack Obama speak.  I was even invited to and attended the innauguration.  The only cost for these events was my time to volunteer, committment to the cause or small donation.

I know that all dreams aren't this inexpensive. However, there are always opportunities to make your dreams happen. I'm sure if you search a little you will be able to find less expensive options.

LIVE YOUR DREAMS!


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...