Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Fashion Risk Taking - Met Gala 2011

Though usually impractical for daily life and always off the charts in the budget department, I love a beautiful gown.  At most awards shows the gown choices are beautiful but many times safe. Starlets are terrified they'll end up on the worst dressed list.  The annual Met Gala gives the middle finger to the worst dressed list. It's why I love this event. Designers and attendees pull out all of the stops, go for the avant garde and over the top. Here are some of the most memorable ensembles from Monday night's Gala.

I am obsessed with this dress by J. Mendel. The detail and deconstructed look made me swoon. I would have toughened it up even more with some rocker type accessories.

Taylor Swift in J.Mendel
Love the train and the sparkle.

Ashley Greene in Donna Karan

Beautiful lace. Leave it to Rhianna to make a lace dress look tough and rocker cool.

Rhianna in Stella McCartney

This is a love it or hate it dress. It's suits Christina Ricci and it fits her flawlessly. I love the fishtail.

Christina Ricci in Zac Posen

I want to wear this dress for my wedding! The sheer silver over white and the pleats and gathers are classic Vera.

Jennifer Hudson in Vera Wang

Sweet and very age appropriate.

Dakota Fanning in Valentino

Bright colors were standouts among the neutrals at this year's Gala. The pleating of Eva Mendes' royal blue Stella McCartney dress is beautiful.  Gisele looks stunning in Alexander McQueen. The detailing of January Jones' YSL and Jennifer Lopez's Gucci gowns are show stoppers. However, I never like the choice of a short dress for this event and I would like the Gucci dress much better without the unkempt flower/ruffle like shrug. While we are on the subject of unkempt, would someone teach Tom Brady how to style his hair or hire him a better hair stylist?  I love long hair on men but it needs to look "done" not like he just got out of the shower and used too much gel to slick it back, but I digress.


L to R:  Eva Mendes in Stella McCartney, Gisele Bunchen in Alexander McQueen,
January Jones in YSL, Jennifer Lopez in Gucci

The award for the night's best mix of high and low goes to Ginnifer Goodwin in her Topshop dress!  The combination of bright colors along with her eye catching necklace is great. I also love her short hair. It really tempts me to go out and cut mine that short again.





Who are your favorites from this year's Met Gala?

  
 
  


Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...