Thursday, October 16, 2008

With Kid Gloves

Over the past few seasons we've seen a resurgence in ladies wearing gloves. I for one am thrilled with this trend. As a little girl I saw pictures of my mom from the 50's and early 60's wearing gloves to events and even with her suits. When I recently told her about my love of gloves, she brought out a beautiful pair of black, leather, opera length gloves that she wanted me to have. I was devastated to learn that my hands are larger than hers and I couldn't wear them. This sad fact did little to deter me. The beauty of this trend revisited is that anything goes. Long, short, formal, informal, leather, satin, knit, bright colors and neutrals are all being seen on the runway and the street.


The trend hearkens back to the "ladies who lunch" aesthetic but it can be done in a modern way. I love old movies and one of my favorites is "Read Window" with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly. That movie displayed everything that was beautiful about women's style at that time. Grace wore gloves with many of her costumes in the movie. She wore opera length gloves with a dress and shorter gloves with suits.


Grace Kelly "Rear Window" 1954 Paramount Pictures


Audrey Hepburn in "Breakfast at Tiffany's" is another iconic image of a woman in gloves. The opening scene in her black dress and black opera length gloves has been often copied in movies and on the runway.






Audrey Hepburn "Breakfast at Tiffany's" 1961 Paramount Pictures

My quest has been to find great ways to modernize this vintage idea. Below I present a few of my favorite examples. The gloves don't have to be opera length or worn with a formal dress. This trend is hot as evidenced by it's inclusion in the fashion forward show "Gossip Girl". The character of Serena wore short gloves with a formal bridesmaid's dress for her mother's wedding. This look was straight off the runway (Ralph Lauren's Spring 2008 show).





I also adore the idea of long gloves with a coat or jacket that has shorter sleeves.

photo credit: Scott Schuman, The Satorialist, http://thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

The photo above was taken last winter in Paris. I became obsessed with adapting this look to my own style. I couldn't believe how hard it was to find gloves, at that time. This season, there are many glove options available. I purchased two pair of elbow length, knit gloves from Talbot's at the end of last winter, for a steal. As this trend has increased in popularity, more options are becoming available in the US. Of course you can spend a fortune but it's not necessary.

Nordstrom has a great selection, ranging from $28 - $148. My favorite are these short metallic gloves by Tarnish. At $110, they are a bit pricey so I am on the hunt for some less expensive options.

Kohl's has gloves available in the Simply Vera Wang line. If you catch a sale (which they have weekly) you can get them for as little as $15.00! I especially love these dyed, fingerless gloves.

The style of these gloves isn't ideal but how can you beat 100% cashmere gloves for $19.50?! You know Old Navy, these will go on sale soon, so look out for an even better deal.

We can always count on Target for great style at a great price. As I was typing this blog entry, I may have just found a great, low cost substitute for the pricey Tarnish gloves I mention above. Check these out at Target for only $17.99.

There are budget conscious options out there, you just have to hunt. Isn't the hunt half of the fun? Happy Hunting!



Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...