Friday, May 8, 2015

Frugal Fashion Friday: Goodwill #sharethegood

If you've read this blog for any length of time or read some past posts, you are well aware of my love for thrifting and especially for Goodwill. I have a great relationship with the Goodwill team, here in the DC area and a long time love affair with Goodwill shopping. In addition to shopping at Goodwill, we keep a continuous box for Goodwill donations. Anything that we no longer love, doesn't fit, or is past it's prime, goes right into the box. We try to make a donation trip every month or so. I'm due for a big closet purge very soon. Lots of my clothes no longer fit, due to my weight loss. I will be hitting up Goodwill soon for some replacement items. This week is Goodwill Industries Week.  In honor of the amazing work that Goodwill does, I thought I'd share some of my favorite finds and the ways that Goodwill helps the community.



Goodwill is much more than great buys and donations. The staff in their stores are working through the job and employment programs provided by Goodwill. They also provide career training and job programs in conjunction with other companies and businesses.

  • Did you know, when you donate used goods to Goodwill, you keep waste out of area landfills while helping people find jobs!
  • Did you know, With each new store and donation center Goodwill opens, 25-30 new jobs are created!
  • Did you know, you can round up the total of your purchase at any DC area Goodwill store and all of that money will go directly to Goodwill programs.
  • Did you know, Goodwill provides free job training programs, job fairs, and has four career centers in the DC metro area.
  • Did you know, DC Goodwill hosts an annual pop-up shop and fashion show, where all of the items sold and in the show were donated to Goodwill stores across the DC area.

I've found so many great items at Goodwill that I couldn't possibly show them all to you. Follow me on instagram and Facebook to see more of my finds.

The caftan I scored at the Goodwill pop-up shop.

I love Goodwill for vintage Coach bags and designer shoes!

I give new life to items (like these bookends from Goodwill), with spray paint.

Goodwill is a great place to score home decor, for a steal.

Goodwill is one of my favorite places to find great t-shirts.
We even created over 200 candle holders for our wedding, using glasses purchased at Goodwill. (DIY details here)
There are lots of donation trips (and shopping trips) to Goodwill, in my future. I definitely need to declutter my closet. Hopefully you'll do the same or at the very least, do some shopping. It's great to know that your purchases are helping the environment and your community. There are Goodwill stores across the country, find a store, donation center or career center here.

I'd love to see some of your Goodwill purchases. If you post them to twitter or instagram, be sure to tag me ( @realgirlrunway for both ) and use the hashtag #sharethegood.

Happy Friday and Happy Thrifting, Real Girls!





Pin It!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...